We have received several requests for early bovine pregnancy tests of blood or milk.
These tests can be performed from 60 days after calving and 28 days after AI.
The accepted samples are (in order of preference):
- clotted blood (brown cap tube or other dry tube without preservatives)
- plasma (EDTA)*
- whole blood (EDTA)*
- milk (tubes for bacteriological testing)
* Note that heparin samples MAY NOT be used for this test.
The minimum amount of blood required is 1 mL
When the test is performed between 28 and 45 days after AI
- the sensitivity of the test (% of correctly identified gestating cows) is 99%.
- the specificity of the test (% of correctly identified non-gestating cows) is 95%.
In the current context, Biovet offers its pregnancy test at a special price until April 30 (this will be reassessed at that time based on the evolution of the situation).
If possible, tests will be conducted daily, up to twice a day, for blood but once a day for milk.
We insist that samples go through veterinary facilities and be accompanied by formal requests.
To plan our next reagent orders better, we would appreciate it if you would inform us of the approximate number of blood and milk tests that you expect to submit to us over the next month.